Monday, May 18, 2009

'Because' and 'It is because'

Dear children,

I'm a little bothered that I wasn't able to explain to you in class, sufficiently and properly, why I asked you not to use 'Because' or 'It is because' to start a sentence, especially when you are answering open-ended comprehension questions.

I hope what I'm going to share here will help you understand, even if it's just a little bit, why I discourage you to use the word 'because' to start a sentence.

I found the information below from this link. Some words may be a little technical, like 'clause'. To make it simple, it is something like a very short statement.

'Can you start a sentence with because?

The answer is, yes, if you make sure it is a complete sentence.

You can start a sentence with because, as long as you make sure to fully complete the sentence.

One clause beginning with the word because does not make a sentence. These are fragments (bits or pieces of a sentence):

*Because the newspapers reported it.*
*Because the river ran dry.*


However, it is acceptable if you add an independent clause to the above. These are complete sentences:

Because the newspapers reported it, the neighbours believed it.
Because the river ran dry, the dam would no longer provide electricity.


Now, the reason why so many people think you cannot start a sentence with because is that school teachers use this "rule" to help students avoid writing fragments like the ones in asterisks (*) above. You may find this rule useful yourself if you are prone to this error. Thus, if you do not allow yourself to start a sentence with because, you will automatically correct fragments beginning with because. You might correct this fragment:

*Because I said so.*

by creating this complete sentence:

The children stayed inside this afternoon because I said so.

You may also correct fragments like the ones in asterisks above by rewriting so that because is not at the beginning:

The neighbours believed the story because the newspaper reported it.
The dam would no long provide electricity because the river ran dry.
'

I hope this helps a little in making you understand why I said that sentences starting with 'because' are not complete sentences.

Personally, I am not convinced that just by adding the words 'It is' will make sentences starting with 'because' better. This is why I asked you not to start with 'It is because' either.

No comments:

Post a Comment